1. BOOKING TIME
I highly recommend to book your newborn session as early as possible. Younger newborn do much better during photo session, they will sleep more soundly, allowing me to pose them to create the very best portraits. Babies are also more flexible at this stage. Older than 2 weeks, most babies tend to be more alert and a bit restless, and much more difficult to capture the images . You can contact me via email, text message, Facebook or simply give me a call the first 48 hours after your baby arrived, this way, if I have to re-arrange my schedule, I have enough time…
Session will take place at my in-home based studio in Upper Mt Gravatt, Brisbane, where I have all the props available. The studio is kept at 28 degrees celsius for the baby’s comfort, especially if we do nude poses.
If you like I can also organise a session in the comfort of your own home
3. BEFORE SESSION
The key to successful session is a deep sleeping baby! Remember, the session might last up to 4 hours (make sure you had a good breakfast
* Schedule feeding 1-2 hours before arrival
* Interact with your baby for at least 1-2 hours before your scheduled session to keep him/her awake. This means keeping them awake during the car ride 😉 I know, I know, it is very hard, but try your best!
* Dress your baby in comfortable clothes with button up or zip up clothing for easier transition. Please DO NOT dress the baby in anything that I will have to pull over the head.
* Dummy…Please bring it with you, it helps to calm your baby down during transition poses. If you don’t have one, I will be more than happy to provide one to your baby during session…Of course, it is brand new and yours to keep.
* Dressing tips for parents: Beige/ cream/ white all would look amazing for your baby’s newborn pictures no matter what gender your baby is ! Grey, blush, or brown are also great options. Pastels like soft blue or blush pink are beautiful as well. Same applies to significant others and siblings.
MATCHING: Lets say dad wears baby blue dress shirt, it doesn’t mean mom have to match completely, how about nice light blue scarf over the white shirt? Piece of jewellery ? Necklace? Anything would work, honestly!
I usually do not recommend dark colours, busy t-shirts with logos or clothes with stains
4. ON ARRIVAL
Once you arrive, it is time to get baby ready, feed baby now and time to get all others involved in session ready
5. IT IS TIME TO START
No worries, I will guide you through every single step and pose! I always start my sessions with a wrapped baby, it allows an easy way for mom , dad and siblings to be involved, plus those are my “safety” shots; even if baby is fully awake, I still can produce beautiful images of wide open eyes!
I start with mom, will add dad, and siblings if there are any (since they are the one who loose patience fast) and will then move to the baby itself.
I usually get through 3-4 set ups, but it all depends on baby. Do not worry about your baby having accidents on my props 😉 many parents worry about that – but I am used to it, and prepared for any type of accident! All my props are washable and been washed after every use.
Cameras or video cameras are not allowed while I’m shooting the session.
While I photograph the baby, I want parents to be relaxed; take a nap; have a cuppa just take a moment and relax.
6. After the Session
Within 1 week after the session, I will provide you with the password to an online gallery to view your images. You can now make a favourite list with the images you want. If you want more images than the package you have purchased you may now upgrade your package. Your digital images will be sent within 2-3 weeks of your session with a print release. Although, my current packages include the digital images, I strongly recommend you to order prints through me as I use a professional lab I DO NOT recommend Officeworks, Kmart, BigW, Teds Camerahouse or similar! Your print release will cover you to have the images printed for personal purposes: social media shares, email to family and friends, but it does not allow you to reproduce them for sale of any kind.
Thank you for choosing Newborn Magic Photography!